The Next 5 Things Needed to Get Yourself Out of Your Own Way: No More Self-Sabotage
Stop being your own worst enemy. Your destiny depends on it.
I’m sure we can all agree that there have been times in our life where we have acted against our best interest. In those types of moments, if we identify why we acted that way–then we have a good chance of not repeating that mistake. But, it’s no longer a mistake when we repeatedly do the things we know are harming us be it emotionally, financially or academically.
I don’t believe anyone enjoys the pains of repeated defeats or harmful relationships. No one wakes up in the morning and says “How can I sabotage myself today?”
Your potentiality is only limited by your belief system. You were created on purpose for a purpose. And, it as out of the place of purposefulness that we find personal satisfactions and good fortune. Success is not measured by how much money we have but by how fruitful our lives are in health, marriage, etc.
How are you limiting your life and your potential?
Your personal potential applies to hobbies, sports, career, relationships; even creativity.
You have the power to become who you want to be and you have the power to accomplish your goals and dreams. How you respond to life determines how much you get from life–be that positive or negative.
Potential relates to your potency. Potential is all about your power to choose your progress and accomplishments. Breakthrough and increase is a direct result of your strength level. Which level? Your level of endurance.
You are not a victim of circumstance. When life knocks you down, you knock out life with positiveness; forgiveness, reflection and unyielding determination.
Potential comes from the root words “potency” and “potent” and refers to all the things you can be successful at if you develop and use your gifts, talents and natural abilities.
The lion may be the king of the jungle, but you have been given ruler-ship over of the Earth.
You were created in greatness and shaped in brilliance. You are nothing short of awesome!
Some of people have been born into poverty or abuse. Some of have been born into sickness and neglect. And, there are some who have been born into richness and prosperity but they too may have experienced abuse or neglect. Pain and suffering are equal opportunity employers.
When we get out of our own way, we are able to reach God’s promised place for us.
What are the ways you may be defeating yourself?
- Housing self destructive thoughts. Negative thoughts should flow through you like sound to your ears–in one way and out the other way. Examples include thoughts such as: “I’m going to fail, I just know it”, “I’ll never get out alive”, “This will completely destroy me”, etc. Don’t indulge negative thoughts by giving your time to contemplate how bad things are or how bad things will be. Be proactive in your thought life. Cancel out those negative thoughts with prayer and positive affirmations. Get out of the place where you are having the negative thoughts. If you’re in living room go to your bedroom, if you’re in your work office walk to the lobby–just as a way to change your pattern of thought. This really works.
- Allowing your emotions to govern your decision process. Nobody wants to admit that they are emotional. Yet, everyone makes decisions with their emotions sometimes. Like, seeing an ice cream cone and the desire to eat it. Or, seeing a new pair shoes and feeling like you must have it. Advertisers use our emotions to trigger desire through their commercials. They know that they can influence consumer behavior. That said, don’t allow the feelings of fear or sadness to dedicate the choices you make. Ask yourself, “How am I feeling right now? If I wasn’t feeling this anger, how would I respond with wisdom?” Then choose what is right and truthful; this will always prove to be beneficial spiritually, mentally, physically, emotionally and financially. Live a little. Learn to take calculated risks and you will soon find out that you can turn your failures into success.
- Failure to take action. Some people call this procrastination. Procrastination is the “leave it for later” bug and very destructive in nature. This in no doubt sets us up for failure. The good news is opportunity does knock more than once. The chance that you will meet new people, have new encounters and learn new lessons–make for the next opportunity to step through the right door at the right time.
- Not taking self-care. Poor sleep, lack of exercise, neglecting personal hygiene, unhealthy eating and failing to maintain general well-being of your body, heart and spirit–clear indicators of self-destructive behavior. Self love is not vanity. Narcissism is another thing. Take care of yourself. Appreciate yourself. Embrace your strengths and weaknesses. When you become your own befriend; you’ll always have your best interest at heart.
- Staying in unhealthy relationships. Jealousy, possessiveness, emotional manipulation, neediness, violence and so forth only serve to put us in bondage and giving someone else the keys. When life has beaten us down it’s easy to presume we are unworthy of genuine love and prosperity. Shake off the guilt, all forms of abuse and belittlement–shake it off. Take some alone time to think about where you are, how did you get to where you are and where you’d like to be. Make a plan and then make a map. The plan is the “what”. The map is the “how”. Commit to being and doing your best. And of course, commit to grow. Who are the leaders that have reached where you want to be? How did they get there? How can you connect with others that share your goals? What are the next steps you need to take?
When life feels like an unchanging cycle of setbacks; faith, faith, faith. The kind of faith that sees beyond prison doors. The faith that doesn’t lose hope. You are made of tough stuff. Whatever is holding you back is not stronger than you. You are stronger than bars of steel. The shadows you are boxing aren’t even real.
What would you really like to do? Where do you envision traveling to? Do you dream of fostering children?
Today is almost gone, but tomorrow is just around the corner. Keep your head up and your feet planted on the ground. Whatever ails you, whatever binds you, whatever is confusing you–pray. Pray for the strength and the wisdom to walk away from the familiar, the easy and the destructive. Walk into new freedom, new joy and new power.
Our God is a prayer answering God. Trust Him. He desires to give you his best.